Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cryptor or Other Encryption Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangred

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
US
Hi, I have two questions

The first one is about the software product cryptor.

I can’t figure out a way to check and see if the file is encrypted or decrypted already. I discovered that if you encrypt or decrypt a file twice successively it seems to mess it up and and make the table unusable. Is there some way I can check to see if the file is already encrypted so that I can skip encrypting it a second time? I know the If statement returns a numeric value but that is also what executes the enoding and decoding functions.

The second question is if anyone has ever used any other encryption software that they would recommend. Such as maybe Macafee PGP?

I appreciate your help,
Ryan

sangred

The second question is if anyone has ever used any other encryption software that they would recommend. Such as maybe Macafee PGP?

I use the _cripto.vcx library, that came with VFP7.0. I have tested that one to encrypt back and forth and I get no lost data.
Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first

Ryan,
It's been a while since I used Cryptor, but I seem to remember them specificly warning that you should be very systematic in keeping track of what was encrypted (and with what key!). Just one person should be resonsible for this.

To tell, just try opening the table normally:
USE mytable
if you don't get an error it's not encrypted!

Note: If you Encrypt an encrypted table, you just need to decrypt it twice (assuming you used the same key both times). If you used different keys, just make sure you apply them in the reverse order you used to encrypt them.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back