Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cryptolocker Unlocked 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
According to this Watchguard Security article, Fox-IT and FireEye have taken control of those servers and will send you the key to unlock your locked files.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Thanks for sharing. I've so far recovered ALL infected files on one person's laptop - I guess 6 months ago - from this virus. It was very annoying. The way I recovered it was pretty simple once I figured it out, and found resources online. Windows stores shadow copies of everything until you clean it out. On this machine, nothing had been cleaned out, thankfully, and the shadow copies were 100% virus free, best I could tell. Well, I found a program online (free) that could be used to create copies of files from the shadow backups (shadow explorer I believe it is called), and then just wiped the system down, re installed, and restored data files, and off back to normal life they went (until they apparently fried the same laptop while at a hotel, they think).

Anyway, that's good news to know in case anyone runs into that again - they can contact these folks now to get help, and not worry about the whole ransomware aspect.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I had never thought about using the shadow copies for emergency restores. I'm looking into Shadow Explorer now. Thanks for letting us know.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back