Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crypt files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpar

Technical User
Dec 9, 2003
FR
Does somebody know a tool to crypt files?
A free tool.

Thanks.

hi ,

try crypt , encrypt subroutine

( man crypt )

In which fileset is include crypt?

crypt is a C library function that encrypts a 64 character block of data. You'll have to write a program to use it to encode a file using the crypt algorithm.

If you just wanted a tool to encrypt files and not specifically use crypt, look at GNU Privacy Guard (gpg). It uses stronger encryption than crypt, and free AIX binaries are available at
Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

It's a 64 character array.

Make sure you translate a man page into your own words correctly.

imayankee,

For a programming discussion in a C language forum, the difference between a block of data and a character array might matter (although I doubt anyone's implementing char arrays as linked lists).

In an AIX or Unix forum, where this is not the first time that someone has said "crypt" when they probably, though not certainly, meant "encrypt", the sloppy description "64 character block of data" is more than sufficient to distinguish between a library function and a utility that acts on a whole file.

Translate a man page? Surely you can bait me better than that. Perhaps something about my mother's foot apparel.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back