Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRXI Crashes with Memeory error

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterb58

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2005
CR XI SP 4 on WInXP connected via ODBC to Sybase 9.02

As I have been building up my report, I am being plagued by memory errors when running the report. IT has only been a real problem since I added a fourth group, not that that is unusual.

I get an error indication 'Memory Could Not be "Read"' at a specific address. Digging into the dialogue it says crheapalloc.dll had a problem.

Application popup: Crystal Reports - [Report Template]: crw32.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x5ad71531" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read".

Faulting application crw32.exe, version 11.0.0.2495, faulting module crheapalloc.dll, version 9.2.0.4, fault address 0x0000227d.

I have done a memory test and it reports nothing.

It is getting frustrating, any on eknow what is going on

thanks

Pete

Here are a couple of things to look at:
- How much RAM is on the machine where this is running? How much free space is on the disk?
Crystal is a memory hog and does a lot of swapping to disk. It also doesn't clean up after itself when there are errors, so I suspect you have some large temp files on the computer that can be deleted.

- Have you turned on "Use Indexes or Server for Speed"?
When it's an available option, it puts off more of the processing onto the database server so that Crystal doesn't have to do as much work.

-Are any of your groups or selection criteria based on Crystal Formulas?
If so, then Crystal will pull in all of the records for the query and process the filters and/or sorting/grouping itself instead of having it done on the database. If you have a large number of records, this can cause memory issues.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Dell

I have 1.62Gb of free space on the HDD drive.
Task Manager indicates 2095084K of physical memory of which 1117432K is available. System Cache is 1377408. There are no files in any of the 'temp' folders, unless CRXI has it's own location.

Indexes are on, as is Group on Server.

Groups are Call Notification time by Week, Day and Hour. The fourth looks at a spcified order of Response time < 30 and <60. None of them are based on formula.

I have pulled down CR2008 and it seems to be behaving, so I might finish this off in the evaluation version, then buy a full copy.

Thanks

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back