Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crosswire Patch Cable – Can’t Network 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyW

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
CA
Hi guys.

I unsuccessfully tried to Network my Laptop and my PC together using a:

Crosswire Patch Cable: CAT 5e Patch Cord (exact name).

I went through all the steps that were required on WinXPs Network Wizard…I had my Crosswire Ethernet Cable running from and to both computers. After going through the procedure of the ‘Network Wizard’ on both computers I was given information saying that a Network was Successfully Setup (received on both computers).

My problem is I cannot see the other computer when I go to ‘My Network Places’.
Is the Crosswire Cable supposed to be inserted in the Ethernet slots? Because that what I did [smile]

When I’m on my Laptop I can’t see my PC and vice-versa.

Have I missed a step?

Any help would be great…paparazi, wolluf r u out there? You helped me so much with my last post!!

P.S. If I missed stating some info…let me know!

Jenny[sunshine]

I believe you have to enable file sharing on both computers.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

JennyW,
You need to enable file sharing on both computers. Also, you will need to set sharing on the file or folders in which you want to share.

Are the OSs the same on both PC and Laptop?

Another way to network with less hassles would be to use a router or hub instead of a cross-over cable. It would still require file sharing to be enabled on both PC and Laptop in order to share though.

Are you sure you have a cross-over cable? A patch cable is not usually a cross-over cable. Take both ends and look at the wire colors. They should NOT be in the same order.

Hi JennyW!
I agree with franklin97355 on this one Jenny, patch cables are normally straight wired for networking through hubs/switches and routers.
Crossed Cat5 cables are not usually called "Patch" cables.

Obviously you are correct in that you need a crossover type.

When you use the network wizard are you creating a floppy setup disk? this is an option right at the end of wizard setup and allows you to transfer settings to the other computer simply by taking the floppy over to the other machine and executing setup files.

You will need to "share" what you want to access on both machines. This would typically be My Documents so:

Right click on folder, left click Properties, left click sharing, tick box "share this folder on the network"

Apply and OK!
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the replies!

garebo and mainegeek wrote:
I believe you have to enable file sharing on both computers.
How do I do that?

mainegeek wrote:
Are the OSs the same on both PC and Laptop?
No, I am not:
Laptop: WinXP
PC: Win98

However, I set up the network first on my Laptop and from there The Network Wizard asked me to take the WinXP CD (which I used) and go through the same procedure on the other PC (It said to do this if the other PC was not operating under WinXP). I successfully did this on the PC.

franklin97355 wrote:
Are you sure you have a cross-over cable?
I believe so, here is the exact one I have:

paparazi wrote:
When you use the network wizard are you creating a floppy setup disk?
Hey pap! That was one of the options, however, as described above to mainegeek I chose another option, which has the same effect as the floppy setup disk – using the WinXP CD.

What can I do from here guys?

Thanks again!
Jenny [sunshine]

Jenny, I am gonna bow out as too many cooks is not good and
there are good people in here who know their stuff better than i do.

also make sure you give them differnt network names like jen1 and jen2 blah, blah. but make sure network group is the same.

Web Hosting & Telecommunications

What IP addresses do they have. If you don't have anything running dhcp you will need to manually set them. Try 192.168.100.1 on one and 192.168.100.2 on the second. Then on the second go to start and run and type in \\192.168.100.1 and you should see anything that is shared out on the first.

Hi!

Thanks for the responses guys!

dloz, I did what you said…I think I did what you said, yikes! And my ping request Timed Out all four times.

What IP addresses do they have. If you don't have anything running dhcp you will need to manually set them.
What is dhcp? Ho can I manually set my IP address? Sorry for my inexperience [upsidedown]

Jenny [sunshine]

What versions of windows are you running? Windows xp will assign it a number starting with 169. I'm not sure about 98 or 2000. You can see your ip address by going to a command prompt and typing in ipconfig /all. If you have xp and go to network connections under control pannel does the LAN icon say that it is connected

To set you ip address you need to go to the propererties of the LAN connection in control pannel (see above) highlight tcp/ip and click properties. In 98 you can right click on network neighborhood and go to properties, and set the properties of TCP/IP.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no DHCP going on here. She is trying to connect two stand alone devices via ethernet to share files. I think all she needs to do is enable file sharing and she should be gtg. The cable you posted is the correct one for what you are trying to do.

I'm not sure if workgroups come into play in this scenario, perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

Cheers!

JennyW - are you winning? have you got it working?

Both machines need to be on the same workgroup

With no DHCP server you need to set their IP addresses manually

Try one at 192.168.0.1
The other at 192.168.0.2
Both with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0

Then try pinging each machine from the other.
Also try pinging 127.0.0.1 as this will test the NIC

On the 98 machnie you have to type winconfig the command promt to get the IP address.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

I believe that would be "winipconfig" on win 98 or win98se.
I could be mistaken though.

You are right I miss typed it sorry

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

I thought it was winipcfg for 98/98se

Jeff

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back