Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crosstab filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

miletracker

Technical User
Apr 21, 2002
US
Why does a crosstab not allow filtering or limiting records to date parameters . or am i missing something?
miletracker

Hi,
Yes, you might be missing something. I have found that it is best to have a query that retrieves the necessary data BEFORE you run the crosstab. The crosstab query will use that query as the recordsource. Getting back to the first query, this is where you can set the criteria for the various fields. I use a form where the user can select various criteria, and this info is sent to the first query. You may want to read my FAQ on this topic: faq703-2696 HTH, [pc2]
Randy Smith
California Teachers Association

Miletracker:

A way I have found around this is to explicitly identify the column headers for the query. Do this by opening the query's properties (right click on the gray area) and enter the column names (as defined in the table) for the column field separated by commas.

The added advantage of this technique is that if you base a report on the cross tab you will always have the same number of columns with the correct names. So, even if a query based on a date range does not return any values for one of the columns, that column will still appear in the query and report.

Hope that helps. Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

thanks for the response guys
what if the crosstab headings keep changing? how to assign that value to my report correctly and as for the first filtered qry i have noticed that it can also cause errrors
mile tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back