Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crossover setup confusion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLarnon

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
GB
I have a laptop running Windows XP Home that connects to the Internet via my usb ADSL modem. All work fine.

I am repairing a desktop PC running Windows 2000 and want to connect it to my laptop so that it can access the Internet for updates.

I have connected the W2K PC to my laptop's ethernet card via a crossover cable. The XP has ip address 192.168.0.1 and the W2K 192.168.0.2. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway on the W2K is the IP of the XP laptop. Both are part of the same work group.

In the lan settings for the W2K Internet explorer I have the proxy as the IP for the XP (192.168.0.1) using port 808.

I can ping both ways and can also share files.

I ran the ICS on the XP laptop and the connection is being shared. When I look at the network connections for the laptop all seems fine although there is a 'network bridge' connection which is showing as disconnected and I cannot delete it.

I have diabled my firewall's and virus software but still cannot access the Internet from the W2K PC. I also downloaded a free proxy tool, ccproxy and I'm running that on the XP laptop.

I have used a similar setup before only the W2K was an NT PC and it worked fine. I cannot see any obvious problems and would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance.

McLarnon.

You do not need and should not set the proxy address in Internet Options.

All that is needed is to leave the Gateway IP empty on the laptop, and place 192.168.0.1 as the Gateway IP for the desktop.

as bcastner says, MS ICS does not require any proxy configuration. Leave the proxy information blank.

Check that the IP addresses are allocated dynamically ("automatically assign IP address") - ICS does not accept static IPs.

check the LAN connection:
- check that there are link lights on both of the NICs
- try to ping the PC's loopback address ("ping 127.0.0.1")
- ping the PC's own IP address
- ping the other PC's IP address
- ping a public IP address (216.239.53.100 = google.com's IP)
- ping a public domain name (e.g. "ping google.com")

if it still doesn't work, let us know how far in the troubleshooting list you get, plus make a note of the results of runnning "ipconfig /all" on each machine and post the output here.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

manarth,

small quibble, ICS will accept static ips, but:

1. It hates when you do it to the ICS Host;
2. There is likely not a good reason to do so.

cheers bcastner, I didn't know that....I've obviously read too many of the websites which say &quot;you can't&quot; instead of &quot;you shouldn't&quot;!

personally, I'll stick with my hardware router ;)

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I must admit that success is decidedly iffy if you manually assign the IP of the ICS Host. Helmig's site notes the oddity that the 169.254.0.1 address is initially assigned the Host, and then changed to 192.168.0.1 when the first client is added!?

I suspect that many ICS issues stem from trying to manually configure the IP of the Host, and I recommend not doing so, as something internally (likely registry related) is done when the setup routine initially assigns the address, but what it is I do not know. On its face, it should not matter, but I believe it does.

For the clients, it is a different story. As Helmig notes:

&quot;The ICS Host will then act as
a DHCP-server and assign the
IP-address.
However that requires the system
acting as ICS Host to be powered
on during the startup of the Client
system (which has to be the case
anyway if that system is to be
used to connect to the Internet).

You can also assign manually
an IP-address, but then make sure