Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross Server/database use by Stored Procs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicatt

Programmer
Apr 2, 2001
US
I have a stored proc that resides at a location named business_istestxc.dbo.A1 of a particular server. The proc in question pulls data from tables on A1 (mostly) but must also go out to business_test and pull data from tables B2 and C3. Since the proc resides on A1, the path to tables B2 and C3 are fully declared as business_test.dbo.B2 and business_test.dbo.C3 and all is good.

In the long involved process of bringing a large project up, the stored procs MUST be tested on a 'test' system database named salesmanship. Therefore the full paths will be salesmanship_istestxc.dbo.A1 and salesmanship_test.dbo.B2 and salesmanship_test.dbo.C2 so that each proc must be changed by hand to change the path. In addition, when they are placed 'back' on business they will again have to be changed.

Question: Is there a way to paramatize the paths so that they do not have to be changed manually?

In advance your help is gratefully received.

Well we brainstormed and came up with a couple of possible ideas. On was to try RPC but I thought there has to be an easier way.

At this point we are going to try (select *) views. If we use views on the 'home' databse, the underlying tables can cross databases while the views keep the same name. Thus view A1, B2 or C3 on one server/database can refer to the table location anywhere on that server and the proc doesn't have to worry about where it is. All the proc does is use the view.

I will post if this doesn't work.

Hi,
I have seen people use environment variables coded in the master copy of the stored proc file

select foo from NAME1DBXX.dbo.tablename A1,
where ...

and the use a and userid and/or script to change the variables the target database using sed on the script.

sed
FILE=/tmp/storeproc1.$$.sql

cat storeproc1.sql | sed -e 's/NAME1DBXX/${NAME1DB}' >
$FILE
isql -U -S $SERVER -i $FILE

rm /tmp/storeproc.$$.sql

and $NAME1DB is setup in the users .profile or configured in the make file to install the proc.

John Hoffmaster (jrhoffm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back