Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross-platform questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanConsulting

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
US
Hello all,

Please don't bash me but I am a newbie to C#. I would like to know if I develop an application in C# on a Windows box would the executables run on a Mac or Linux box via Mono?

Thanks in advance,
Noble

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

it is possible, but I wouldnt recomend it.

It's best to compile the exe using mono to be sure.

It depends on what calls you make in your program. Mono still doesn't support 100% of the .net framework (they're working on it).

If you want cross-platform, like NeilTrain says, it's probably better to start with Mono.

Chip H.

It depends on what calls you make in your program. Mono still doesn't support 100% of the .net framework (they're working on it).

If you want cross-platform, like NeilTrain says, it's probably better to start with Mono.

Chip H.

Interesting. I suppose that there is a version of Mono that will work on Windows, right?

I am trying to avoid having to work with Java and REALbasic to convert a Windows app to work with Linux and Mac Os's.

I would assume that there is database of choice that will work best in this cross-platform environment?

Thanks again,
NB

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

Here's instructions for using Visual Studio to develop a Mono application:

If you're developing within the Gnome desktop on Linux, there's MonoDevelop:

I just wish they had chosen KDE, but whatever. :)

If you're doing anything on Mono, you should be reading Miguel's blog:

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back