Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross platform apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotim42

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
GB
I have written a little progrma in 2.6a for windows and I have now been asked if it can be used on a mac, not having access to any mac's or software the answer is I don't know.

Cany any of you out there help me out with advice (apart from get a mac or similar) and if possible a direction to look in for coding etc

Thanks a lot

Basically, "mac" runs on a different type of computer hardware and OS and while microsft has an Office version for mac, they don't - to my knwledge - have a foxpro version.

However, I remember some adverts some time back where people bring a MS-DOS floppy into a mac shop and get to run it straight away. So maybe, mac got some type of interpreter for MS-DOS exes.

You could try mac sites.

End

Yep am fully aware as a freind of mine uses mac's at work (at least windows is backward compatible, the latest OS, 10 I think will run no old software!). There is a version of fox-pro for mac's but I have no mac's to use it on and do not intend to get an emulator as the ones I have seen want to modify your BIOS and need the OS on top of that, (none starter)

I have seen reference to do case followed by case _mac() but my help file says this is checking if you are using Fox-Pro for mac's so I am confused (easily done).

I am trying to avoid telling people to use an emulator as I am told they are usually not very good and is also another program using resources

You can find:
FoxPro 2.6 for Mac

Using this forum's Keyword Search and looking for:
"MAC'
will provide you with other postings on the topic.

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

There is a version of Foxpro 2.6 for the MAC. As long as you use a Novell or Windows server and install the appropraite client software on the MAC to allow it logon to the network, and mount the appropraite volume. It will work just fine. If you just want to run it on a MAC, it will mostly port ok.

Things to watch out for:

1) Make sure you either pick a common font or install the font you use in you app in the font folder of the MAC.

2)You will have to re-save screens and reports in the MC environment. You will have to re-compile your PRG files into MAC fxp files.

3) There is a _MAC and _Windows system variables taht tell the system what to do depending on the OS so you don't have re-write your entire app.

IF _MAC
DO this && running mac os
else
do that && running windows os
endif

For details there is great book by FoxPro expert Lisa Slater called Hacking FoxPro MAChete

Hmm yes, I have done a search on MAC and not found anything of any use, buying foxpro for mac is a none starter as it would cost money I cannot afford and would also need a mac to run it on I assume and yes I know about the if _mac command that will check if it is being run on a mac but what do I do then? rather than lots of expense all I want to do is make it so it will run on a mac preferably without a major re-write but I am beginning to think this is a none starter unfortunately

There are emulators for running windows(Dos???) software on a Mac.
Just search for emulators.

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back