Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cross Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

totaletech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2002
CA
How many cross connections can there be in a single run?

I have a site that has the workstation connected to a BIX then cross connected to a 25 pair. The other end of the 25 pair then cross connects to a 100 pair which then cross connects to the Dmark.

Is this one to many cross connects?

4 connections (including workstation connection end and switch end) by the standard. some manufactures will tout that they and do 6.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

connects to the Dmark"
Since you say this I am assuming you are talking about phone lines and not network connections.

What you describe is typical in phone lines.

If this is network cabling, it is an absolute NO NO...

What is the purpose of your question?

Are you experiencing certain problems?

Most commercial/retail sites would typically have 2-4 crossconnect points depending on how/where the distribution cabling was designed for the site. In older campus type environments it would not be unusual to have up to 6 or more connections.

I will go whith what JTodd stated as a rule of thumb- that sounds okay in a newer designed building/campus.

The concern is not necessarily the number of crossconnects- but the line voltage drop which is also taking into the cable length factor.

Most phone systems have a maximum distance length/ or loop resistance on digital vs analog sets.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back