Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cropping Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonaa

Technical User
Jan 31, 2006
NL
Hi all,

I'm a new user of adobe premiere pro 1.5. I'm making a clip compilation from my vacation. Now I'm at the end of the process and I just realize that the default frame size for a project is 720 and 480. Since my videos size is 320 240 when I saw the exported file of my project I got that black empty screen near my video.

My question is, can I crop that black area with adobe premiere pro 1.5? And after I crop the file, will I get full screen clip? Thanks for your help.

Just use the motioneffect (in the efectscontrol) to scale up your video.

If you tick the preference to size clips to project, then they will fit the screen when you put them on the timeline. Too late afterwards!

Stretching small clips to fit big screens results in fuzzy pictures, so you might want to review the output quality before going too far down the scaling up route.

Thanks guys,

Anyway at the end I just stretched the clip in the monitor of sequence. I did it for each clip and picture. But the result is not good though.

Hey! I'm a new user, and I have a similar problem in that when I drag my clips into the movie, the program crops them so that the outer edges are cut off, and it's ruining things. What is happening and how can I prevent it?

Premiere Pro retains source resolution when you put clips on the timeline, so if your clips are bigger than the project frame size you lose the edges.

Several ways out of this, depending on what you are trying to do.

1. Size clips (especially stills) before import (not usually worth the effort).

2. Tick the general preference to "size clips to project" when placing them on the timeline (the easiest way). You can always use Motion afterwards to make any required adjustments to scaling.

3. Use Motion for the clip on the timeline to scale and position the clip as required within the smaller 'window' of the output video frame, which is a very useful way to pan and zoom into larger stills (max 4000x4000 pixels).

Wow thanks! I am so new and embarassed. I closed the timeline window, and now I can't figure out how to open it again. What do I do? I've checked help, but apparently my problem is so basic they don't cover it, or I don't know how to search.

Timelines show sequences. If no timeline, then just open a sequence from the Project window and it will magically re-appear.

Thanks. I never actually established a sequence to begin with, after organizing about a minute or so worth of footage. When I closed the window, did I effectively delete all of that arranging, because I had not established a sequence?

There is always a default sequence when you start a new project. If you have put clips on a timeline at the start of the project, likely you put them in that default sequence called "Sequence 01" unless you rename it. Unless you have deleted it, this sequence will be there somewhere amongst your clips in the project window.

Depending on the bins you may have created, one way to find sequences is to click the column heading for media type to sort on that field, which should group sequences etc together - but only per bin.

Found my sequence! =) Thank you for all your help, you are very generous.

I, too, learn a lot from answering questions. You're very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back