Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crontab Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikerGal

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
Sorry could not do a keyword search as it seems to be down at the minute. I am having more problems with the crontab jobs not running. I have run the script when logged on as root and it works but it does not run when as a crontab job. I thought that the environment the crontab jobs run under was the same as the root environment is this not correct?

thanks a lot

No, cron uses a minimal environment. You can source in the users' . profile in your job if you need their environment settings using the following line:

[tt]. /home/user/.profile[/tt]

You can also set a default PATH for cron jobs (under Solaris anyway) in /etc/default/cron.
Annihilannic.

What flavor?

SCO versions 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6 have problems that are addressed by a patch. Doesn't fix everything you can do wrong but does fix the built in problem. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

HI,

If you're still having problems then make sure your script commands secify full paths. i.e.

GREP=/usr/bin/grep
NAWK=/usr/bin/nawk
PS=/usr/bin/ps

RES=`$PS -ef|$GREP something|$NAWK '{print $2}`

I've had problems similar to this and even specifying full paths to scripts failed. I got round this by CD'ing into the directory prior to making the call. This was due to a poorly setup cron environment because I couldn't have root on certain boxes which were hosted by 3rd parties.

ART

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back