Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cronlog exceeded its maximum size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

calin98

MIS
Mar 13, 2006
US
Hi, All. I hope you can help me.
We are using 4 Novell servers. One of them (which is assigned for Backup, print server etc) is giving us head aches.
A message will pop up on screen: “Cronlog exceeded its maximum size. Logfile restarted”. At this point the users can not see the server any more and I have to reboot it. For the last two days is happening like 5 times a day or more!!! Not good for our company.
Since I am not a System Administrator…I did “vrepair” and “dsrepair”. It would not fix the problem.
Any suggestions? Could be something else? In my understanding the cronlog it is not such a big thing to lock up the server. Is it?
Thanks

VRepair and DSRepair should be used sparingly. It is unlikely that a VRepair will fix this issue and impossible for a DSRepair to fix this issue.

Try deleting SYS:ETC\CRONLOG and see if it resolves the issue. Also ensure that you are not running out of diskspace on SYS

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

I doubt it has anything to do with Cronlog.... But Thelad mentions disk space, and I also suspect you are running out.

Utilities like vrepair and dsrepair are designed to fix specific issues. They are not a fix-everything utility, and you should know why you are running them. You shouldn't run them just to 'hope' it helps.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi,
It may be you need to increase the size of your conlog
I use the following command and don't get the problem

load conlog maximum=100

Hope this helps

Regards

Dave

Dave, CRONLOG and CONLOG are two seaprate things. CRONLOG relates to CRON which is an automated task scheduler. CONLOG is for logging the console actions.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

TheLad - Oops my mistake -Would it be useful to see if all the cron jobs are actually needed?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back