Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cron problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikerGal

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
I am running several scripts through a crontab file. There were originally only two scripts now there are three. The third script (new script) is not running at all (but it runs alright if I run it manually from the command line). The other script that runs every two days is now sending out two identical emails to each user instead of one as it used to. I did not change the crontab entry for this file and it only sends one email when I run it manually from the command line. After it did not work as planned I discoverd I needed to type: crontab <file name>
but it still does not work.

allready x-times discussed,
environment
look at keyword search. -----------
when they don't ask you anymore, where they are come from, and they don't tell you anymore, where they go ... you'r getting older !

Jamisar's right.
When you are logged on, your environment is set up from your profile & other setup procedures.
Cron jobs don't know how to evaluate those env. variables (e.g. for pathnames etc.)
The scripts would need full expansion of any variable names (i.e those prefixed with $ ) in order to work.
HTH Dickie Bird (:)-)))

If SCO 5.0.4 to 5.0.6 you need a patch. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back