Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cron job

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlmk

MIS
Feb 1, 2001
HK
Hi all,

I wish to schdule a task recursively by using AIX crontab. However the crontab only works if it is belonged to root. I login another user like abc and edit its own crontab. It is not running unfortunately (Just like nothing happens). The at command is working fine for abc user but it cannot setup recursive task. I need to define the job one by one & day by day. Any ideas?? It is concerned with the user right or permission?? How to fix it?? Thanks.

hi,

The /var/adm/cron/cron.allow and /var/adm/cron/cron.deny files control which users can use the crontab command. A root user can created, edit, or delete these files. Entries in these files are user login names with one name to a line. If your login ID is associated with more than one login name, the crontab command uses the first login name that is in the /etc/passwd file, regardless of which login name you might actually be using.
Example of a cron.allow file:

root
russel
dabit

If the cron.allow file exists, only users whose login names appear in it can use the crontab command. The root user's log name must appear in the cron.allow if the file exist.

remember if the cron.allow and cron.deny file does not exist, it only allows the root to use the crontab command by defualt.

hope it can help you......

Additional info...

A user cannot use the crontab command if.....

* the cron.allow and the cron.deny file does not exist (it allows root user only)
* the cron.allow files exists but the user's login name is not listed in it.
* the cron.deny file exists abd the user's login name is listed in it.

If neither the cron.allow nor cron.deny file exists, only someone with root user authority can submit a job with the crontab command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back