Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CROM is locked by utility application

Status
Not open for further replies.

U92

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
US
Hey there, friend of mine is having problems with his Lite-On LTN486 cdrom. I thought it might have been Daemon Tools but I uninstalled the application and the drive is still locked. Here is what we did:

When daemon tools was installed it emulated D: drive and E: drive was his cdrom. After I removed DT his cdrom was then changed to D: and remains locked by a disk utility.

The thing about this though is that he had no problem playing other games in his cdrom when daemon tools was installed.

The other day he brought home Deer Avenger game and I tried to install it but it kept freezing the computer at 47% and forced reboot. Since that time the cdrom has not been available.

I have no idea why it remains locked...like I said previously I thought it may have been DT but appearently thats not the case.

I jumped on the command line to try accessing it that way but it was a no go, however I got this error:
Fail on INT 24

His OS is WindowsME.

Any help would be outstanding.

INT 24 is known as the DOS Fatal Error Handler Address.
A sort of catch-all phrase, usually coming up when the floppy has a problem and you get the Abort, retry, fail message. The error is referred to command.com which returns the message.
Are you by chance trying to use CDRWIN also? They don't play well together and with CDRWIN running the system doesn't see the CD drive.
Start by taking off all the emulative tools and concentrate on getting the drive recognized both in the BIOS and in the OS.
Of course, checking the cables in the box, reseating them would take that kind of error out of the equation.
There also is the very real possibility the problem is within the autoexec.bat and config.sys files...those assigned to creating the dos gaming environment.
Go to Start/Run/ and type in sysedit....and in the dialog box presented you'll see the autoexec and config files.
Open them and do a save as and rename them to autoexec.old
and config.old and reboot the machine.
Windows Explorer should see the drive...
Also assure us there's no possibility there are cracks involved. :>)

don't worry everything is totally legit. all games are payed for, we game in a local lan tourney and they enforce the legitimacy of the tournement by strictly prohibiting illegal use of warez. besides, programming games isn't exactly the easiest thing to do and I believe in supporting the further development of the games that I play by paying for them and so does he. ;-)

I'll have a look at the autoexc and config.sys files and get back with you. I'll also give the cables a rattle as well so see if that does anything.

thanks for the reply :) i'll find out if that works and post the results.

oh and no, he doesn't have a cd burner

Actually was just having a bit of fun with ya'...USUALLY crack ppl don't come to newsgroups like this 1...they habit the crackers newsgroups...I like to lurk on them...'cause they know a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back