Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Critical CPU temperature condition detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi folks, our sandbox p610 has gone down and won't come back up due to what's being reported as a 40200023 (P1) state, which Google reveals to be 'A critical CPU temperature condition detected'.

Being a sandbox we have no maintenance on this box, but I'd appreciate any input as to how I might bypass this error in the hope of getting the box up again. As I say, there is no real criticality with this as I can live without the box if absolutely necessary.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Do all the FANs (air-moving-devices in IBM speak) start up when you try to power on the box?

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks p5. I'm not at the box at the moment, but will be visiting the site again tomorrow, so I'll get back to you then.

Hi, Ken.

no good news for you. This 40200023 state is not really recoverable and normally the IBM TA has to replace the sysplanar, which is not desirable for you without HW-support contract. So I fear this machine will never come back without a newsysplanar.

Even changing of fans 1-4 and replacing of CPu-Cards did not bring back the machines to life.

Sorry

mad

Advanced Interactive eXecutable

Thanks Mad. I must admit that I thought this might be the case. In the absence of a contract, I guess I'll take a look on eBay or whatever and see whether I can do it myself. Thanks again.

Ken,

What box is it?

I've got some spares at in my garage I and if not ebay then try these guys
Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Mike, thanks. I'll get back to you tomorrow when I visit the site. Can you clarify exactly what info you need as regards the innards of the p610? I'll take a look at alpha-digital too.

Ken,

I was just after the model

6C1 6E1

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Gathered that whilst looking at the alpha-digital site, Mike. It's a 6E1. Thanks.

Service guide:

Says:

40200023 A critical processor card temperature
condition detected.
1. Check system unit fans.
Locations: F1, F2, F3, F4
(If they are all spinning OK then:)
2. Replace the processor cards.

So it has detected an over temp CPU and during self test can't detect the four fans spinning. Could be a dead fan or dust, or it could be the CPU card has failed. I think the planar replacement that mad bloke referred to was a worst case scenario, probably the fan speed sensor circuit on the planar failed.

When you get there check out the light path panel on the side of the media bay and check the service processor error logs for other errors - take a laptop and null modem cable if there is not a dumb console and cable on site.

Hi folks, just to put this one to bed. On site this morning and decided that a fan didn't seem to be working. Tried rebooting twice without success, but voila, a quick vaccuum aroung the affected area and grilles, and back came my machine! Many thanks again for the advice, I guess the lessaon is try the simplest possible solution first.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back