Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Criteria for Access query 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Apr 20, 2012
US
I'm struggling with a query and how to set the criteria for the following. It seems that it should be so simple!

I have a file with thousands of rows and has many columns but there are 5 columns that represent types of digital assets: Instruction Manual, Use and Care Manual, Warranty Guide, etc. I want to output the file to only include the records thay may have one or more of the 5 columns with data. So in other words, if all 5 are blank, don't write that record. I thought if I used "Is Not Null" in all 5 columns that would do it but it still includes them.

See I told you it was easy! Thanks.

Do the fields in question hold text values (string variables)? If so, bear in mind that an empty string ("") is not the same as a null value. In other words, it can be blank without being null; you may have to test for blank or null values.

Thanks jges for responding.
The values do contain "X" and I put that there during a different query, so now I am thinking I need to code something as - Not = 'X' in each field. They will either be X or nothing. I will give that a try.
Thanks, C. !

I did modify it so that it checked for the actual value and it worked. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back