Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crimping RJ-45 vs. no-tool required RJ-45

Status
Not open for further replies.

compnut24

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
US
I am only needing to terminate 4 times, so I dont think that buying a $40.00 tool would be very practicle, when i can buy the no-tool jack for around $3.00. What are your thoughts on this?

There are two types of termination...requiring two different types of tools. First, if the four terminations you need to do are jacks in wall plates, then yes you have the right idea in getting the 'tool-less' jacks. But, if you need to terminate with RJ45 crimp on ends, you have to use the crimper to get the proper CAT5 certified rating.

see this site on how to make it simple!!

PS..this is for a cross over cable, but you can follow the instructions using the standard 8wire layout...
white-orange,orange,white-blue,green,white-green,blue,white-brown,brown

hope this helps!! Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

sorry.....to add to my last post....this site tells you how to do it with just house-hold tools!!! a bit cowboyish but if you want to keep your cash!!!! Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

From a Technicain Point of view, I think that you should buy the crimper due to the fact yes it is easier to get a premaid cable. But what happens when you need a cable that does not come in the length that you need what do you do than, you pay the outragous price for that special footage, when you can terminate it your self. besides if you can terminate your self the next time someone needs a cable in a certain situation doesn't that make you better prepaired for the next situation and to know that you can handle it rather then waiting for onsite tech. to get to it, even better yet what about when no one is there and it is an emergency you know code RED....you become more valuable and believe me certain people in high places remember that....
Good Luck Goouch

the earlier post has the color code wraong. 568 type a hs pinouts of : white green, green, white orange, blue, white blue, orange, white brown, brown. 568 type b pinouts : white orange, orange, white green, blue, white blue, green, white brown, brown.

matt wray
ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back