Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creative shift out of IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

denacho

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
this is probably going to seem like a crazy thing to post because i'm not looking to get into IT/IS, i'm looking to shift somewhat out of it.

History:
BA & MS in Interpersonal Communication (so study of people & communication dynamics)
worked as HR Generalist for 2 years before going on to a Software Training position
training in all Office products as well as many custom software products for companies all over the country
12 years ago began working in an IT dept at a hospital & have been doing Windows/SQL/Citrix Admin work for 10 years now

so i have accidentally landed in IT. never meant to & didn't really think i'd stay in it this long. i've realized in the last 2 years i'm simply burned out on the WinAdmin duties. i do not have any MS certs (only A+), and am, by no means, what i consider to be a truly techie WinAdmin. i do mostly hardware installs/configs, software installs/upgrades, minor SQL work (db's are usually already built so no design work, mostly maintenance & script updates), & Citrix/2X remote access coordination. I LOVE doing any & all documentation (SOP, DR, wiki) for our Windows Systems - that's where my communication background really shines. i would love something in a Technical Writing field, but i don't have any programming experience. i don't necessarily want to leave computers completely, i think i just want something different from the Admin side but that also allows me to use the communication, documentation & training skills that are my true asset. anyone have any suggestions? i'm really struggling with what my next move will be & i don't want to stay where i'm at to the point of total burn out which would be a deficit to not only me but my employer as well!

welcoming any creative ideas & direction!

Try some informational interviews with Technical Writers, see how they feel about their jobs, whether what they do would be something you'd like. Are you on LinkedIn ? explore contacts there in the area of Technical Writing. Get a current copy of "What Color is your Parachute?" by Richard N. Bolles .... always some good ideas for career changers there too...

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back