Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creative CGI Minds Needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snazzyCrunch

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

Here's my dilemna:

We have a performance agent tool on our production servers. The agent is called Openview Performance Agent by HP. We know how to extract the data from the command line locally on each server.

We would like to create a webpage on a central webserver that allows user to select the servername, type of metrics, and start/end times, then run a cgi script which will go to that server (which doesn't have a webserver on it) and extract the data. Once the data is extracted we would then like to port it to an excel sheet etc...

We of course can handle the excel part, just curious if anyone has any ideas how to approach this. I do have network communication to these servers from a central web server.

Also, all the production servers are listening on a specific TCP port for the process that collects the data. Thus, I know I can get to the server on the port to access the extract program, just not sure how i can invoke it.

Points will be awarded for ALL helpful ideas!!

Thanks,
snazzyC.

Hi,

You could use rpc (remote procedure calls) to initiate the process on the servers to be monitored, have it send back some sort of semaphore to say the process has completed and access your output over the network drives.

If its windows, you could use Sc[/] or netsvc to start the process as a service (running under svcany.exe)

HTH
Paul

The formatting is a bit scre*ed on previous post
Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back