Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creation of a csv file on server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbrookes

Technical User
May 12, 2001
GB
I would like to create a csv file from a web form, ie collect data from text boxes radio buttons etc and have these values output in csv format. i know this can be done, but i've searched the web long and hard and can't find it anywhere. Also, i would like to fields previous values not to be visible.

If you could point me in the right direction I would be grateful

Thanks

Thicko Nicko

1) Pick a server-side language (ASP, ASP.NET, PHP,...)

2) Learn it!

HTLM forms are submitted back to the server. A program runs on the server to process the results. You have to write that program, which means learning a web server-side programming language. If you're just starting, I suggest PHP, because most web hosting companies support PHP.

More information on PHP at

Thomas D. Greer

Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

The example i referred to was written in html - i was hoping not to have to learn a language such as php as i don't have a server with that on. It is just a web page for entry and collation of parameters for use in a SAS program.

This cannot be done with any conventional non-server-side means, unless you look into the possibility of crappy ActiveX controls - and even then I'm not sure if there is the ability to create files and write to them.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
"Holy crip he's a crapple!

The title of this thread is "creation of a csv file on server". There's nothing you can do within the browser - using HTML, Javascript, ActiveX or anything else that will do that. You have to use a server-side language to pick up and store what the HTML form sends it.

Check your server, it may have php or perl installed on it. If not, install one of them - they're free after all.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back