Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating wind effect with a transparent background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inemity

Technical User
May 9, 2008
US
I can't seem to figure it out. I need the effect to be on a transparent background, because the web page the image will be used on, doesn't have a set bg color as of yet. So the creator needs the image to not have a colored border around it.

The problem is, whenever I try to use the wind effect on text, it inverts the effect. I'm using a transparent background, and the text in a new layer. I've tried pretty much everything and I can't figure it out. Help!

Yeah, I am. On a transparent background. And I can't flatten it on a colored BG, because I need the image itself to not have a bg, due to the site it's going on.

I'm not sure why your effect is inverting. I just created some text (in blue), applied the wind effect and saved it as a GIF with transparency. Maybe you could post a link to the image.

You should use another method to achieve what you want. You could get a better wind effect by copying your text to a new layer, and experiment with adding some noise, motion blur and then apply the wind effect for a different "windy" effects.

...make the text white instead on transparent background, or...

...personally i would convert the text to a white text smart object (in CS3), then apply the wind filter to the smart object...

...that way the text is editable...

...to color it add a color overlay layer style to the smart object layer...

Andrew

CAn't use the wind effect on a smart object =/

...filter > stylize > wind?

...works fine here...

Andrew

...if you don't have CS3 then make the text white instead, apply wind filter, then apply the color overlay layer style to color it if need be...

Andrew

I have CS3. After converting it to a smart object in the layers area, it grayed out wind in the filter menu.

...at what bit depth, 16bit?

...make sure your in 8bit, some filters won't work in higher bit depths, and also certain color modes...

...apart from lens blur, on 8bit images, all filters can be used as smart, editable effects...

Andrew

...and also, pixel aspect ratios can disable some filters too, ensure your in square pixels...

Andrew

...best post a full screen shot link so we can eliminate any causes...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back