Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating WiFi using Wimax as signal source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
I am considering a Wimax USB dongle for my laptop which will allow access to the Internet anywhere in the Wimax service area. I would also like to create a Wifi at home using the Wimax dongle as the feed.

Would it be possible to use another USB port on my laptop to feed the signal back out of the laptop to a Wifi Access Point?

Firstly, how would the incoming signal from one USB port be routed back out of the laptop via a second USB port? Would specific software be required, and is there any?

Secondly, all of the access points that I have seen have a RJ45 input rather than a USB input, so would one use a cable with a USB Male A on one end and a RJ45 on the other (i.e., a specific purpose cable designed for the task), or are there access points with USB inputs which would allow use of an ordinary USB cable withType A male on both ends?

Alternatively, is there such thing as an access point that will allow the Wimax USB dongle to be just plugged into the AP and used as the signal source? (I assume that one cannot just use the sort of cable mentioned above under "Firstly" to connect the two due to wiring mapping issues?)

have a look at ics

you use your lan-connection to connect to the ap

afik no

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Not sure if it'll help in your situation at all, but I thought you may can find something useful in it:

It's a paper put together by Motorola and Intel regarding mixing WiMax and Wifi... but I'm guessing their look at it will be from a different angle... probably Wimax to your home, then wifi to your network... then again, not sure, maybe that's what you're looking at anyway.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

In fact, ClearWire is the ISP in my case, and I am familiar with the device, called a Clear Spot. But the blinking thing is $125 and very low power (covers one room) and I therefore assume low speed.

Since I already have a WiFi router/access point, don't want to buy more (overpriced) hardware, so it looks like ICS will probably do the job.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back