Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating subfolder under Reports folder???

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelavardhan

Programmer
Apr 14, 2008
US
Hi,
I have created a project in reporting services.There are two folders: "Shared Data Sources" and "Reports" .
Is there ant way to create subfolder under Reports folder ?
Thank you.

If you click "Show Details" in Report Manager, you should get the option to create a new folder.

If not, you'll need someone with proper permissions.

I think the ReportServer database manages this stuff, not sure where it creates the folders though (or if it even does, to be honest)

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

Alex,

I think neelavardhan was talking about in Visual Studio or SSBI Development Studio.

To my knowledge and experience, you cannot create subfolders in a Reports project. This seems to be by design but I am not sure why.

To work around this somewhat, we use a separate Reports project in one big master project for each of the "subfolders". As an example, our SSRS Server is set up with a folder for each of the departments in the company. Each of these "folders" has its own project in our master reports projects. So these is an IS project, an Accounting project, a Sales project, and so on.

You set the properties for each Reports project to define the folder to deploy the reports to...so all the reports for a specific department are automatically deployed to the right folder. This is important because if you have reports on your server with cache modes and subscriptions, if you redeploy the report directly to the right folder, those cache and subscriptions setting will be retained. If you deploy all reports to some sort of "deployment" folder and then use the SSRS Report Manager to move them around, you will lose these cache and subscription settings.

Hope that helps you find a via work-around...

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB/Access Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back