Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating sub sites and setting permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bereza

Technical User
Jun 14, 2006
EU
Hi,

I need some useful links or tips to solve following problem. thanks alot

I have allready installed WSS 3.0 for a little firm and they are going use it as intranet. but I am newbie with WSS. the company contains 4 departements and every departement has 2 sub departements. What I want to do is, every department and sub departement has own site. and when a user loggs on first time it will create a site for the user which must be located under appropriate sub department and appropriate departement. the users must have some permissions to some lists and folders for departement and sub department site which they bilongs to regarding there roles (admin, manager, project manager, user, developer...).

Basically, I think what you may be after doing is this:
[ol]
[li]Create the "main/master" site.[/li]
[li]Under that create a site for each head department[/li]
[li]Then continue to sort of drill down through the sites, creating sites within them as needed.[/li]
[li]The user thing sounds like what you're saying is the customizeable interface each user has. I think that's a default setting, anyhow.[/li]
[li]For access control, permissions, and such, it's easiest to create a few groups, and assign members to groups. Assuming the company has an active directory tree, this should be pretty simple.[/li]
[/ol]

As far as references, I believe I remember Microsoft offering at least one free ebook on SharePoint.

You could get started looking here:

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back