Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating search database on website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbroga01

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
I am designing a business website that wishes me to create a search database.&nbsp;&nbsp;Though I have programmed many pages in html, i find myself lacking the knowledge to create the database.&nbsp;&nbsp;If anyone out there could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.<br><br>Feel free to email me with a response,<br><br>Dan<br><A HREF="mailto:Dbroga01@villanova.edu">Dbroga01@villanova.edu</A>

Dear Dan,<br><br>Not sure what your intentions are but to build a search feature for your site into a database you need to index your site first. In other words you crawl the pages and create a row in your database for each page where one column is the textual content of the page. Other columns can contain any other information you can think of.<br><br>This becomes more complicated if any of your site is generated dynamically from database information.<br><br>Sound difficult? It is. This is why I would suggest using a product that handles the indexing or cataloging for you. There are free products that work remotely and of course commercial products. <br><br>The only one I've ever worked with is Microsoft Site Server Search so I can't offer any advice about other products.<br><br>&quot;But, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong&quot;.<br>-pete<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back