Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

drimades

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2004
MK
--------------------------

How can I copy the screenshort of a window or message box (not the entire screen)?

--------------------------

Use the following program:

This is a great program and does screenshots extremely well, you can try it for 30 days, I think. Give this a shot.

Hope that helps,

Erik

By holding down the <Alt> key, and pressing the Print Screen key, you will get a screenshot of the current active window.

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

----------------------------

It works! There is only a problem: If I want to describe a procedure, for example how to open a new file in word, if I press "ALT" I loose the actual File Menu listing so can't catch the image!!

Thank you!

----------------------------

ALT+Print Screen gives you the active window. Print Screen or CTRL+Print Screen give you the entire screen, from which you can crop out the menu you want to show.

EXTRA TIP: After you paste the screen shot into Word, Imeediately cut it again, then reinsert using Edit>Paste Special and choosing a different file format like JPG. Screenshots by default are pasted in as Enahanced Metafiles. Cutting the repasting them as JPEGs will reduce your file size by an order of magnitude.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/sub]

ONLY hit printscreen to capture the entire page. Then crop it in MSPAINT to get the section you want, then save it as a PNG so you dont lose the sharpness of the image.

Then paste that into your word document.

If you will put a carriage return in your Word document and then paste your screen shot after that CR, then press End and then another carriage return, you will then be able to document the screen shot without it evaporating.

Using Snagit in "Image Capture" mode, set up your MS Word screen as you want it, with drop down list showing, and press <Ctrl> <Shift> <P>. This will bring up a box, without disturbing the drop down lists, which you can adjust before saving your captured image.

Great little program - use it all the time for my teaching notes.

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back