Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating pop-up of person from a circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikky0000

Technical User
Jan 12, 2009
I am using IL CS4 on WIN XP.

Trying to make a person who is in a circle with a border, but the forehead and hair is outside the circle. I am newer to Illi, so having a hard time.

If I place a photo, draw a circle on it, clip mask it, it puts the photo INTO the circle but the upper face (foreheaad and hair is cut off also).

These are commonly seen in magazines of all sorts.

Thanks.

Nikky

...the subject matter, in your case a person, needs to be cut out to transparent, usually masked in photoshop and imported as a transparent PSD...

...you then need a circle underneath, the person on top inside it's own circle and clipped as you have done, you then need to modify the clipping mask that holds the person using the direct select tool...

...the other method is to use two images of the person, one clipped to the circle, and another directly on top except the lower body is masked out, leaving only the head. This method is normally done in a DTP application, as it is possible to use only one image with two layers, and either showing or hiding the appropriate layers. Such as the use of indesign "object layer options"...

andrew

...also to add...

...if your subject matter requires that the background of the source image needs to be maintained, then you still need two images, the first is the "full" image, clipped to circle (with border), the one on top is the masked image, clipped to it's own circle but with the clipping mask modified at the top...

...for flexibility, on the image that sits on top of the border, you may find it better in the long run to mask out the whole background of the person in photoshop, but depends really if you have the time and whether it might be used again somewhere else on a project...

andrew

...and not forgetting, obviously both images have to be in exactly the same X and Y coordinates and scale, so get that right first, file > place both, then start clipping...

andrew

Thank you very much 'appep'.

I will give it a try.

Nikky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back