Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Org Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexxx

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
I've got an Excel database with the following five columns:
Full name, job title, department name, supervisor, location

What I would like to have happen is for a program to take this information and create an organization chart from it automatically.

What I don't want to have to do is have a program import this data them require a bunch of manual dragging and dropping and chart assembly. Organizing a directory tree from the database I would consider very helpful and minimal work but dragging boxes around with over 300 positions is too much time and work.

Is it possible to do this with Visio Professional Edition 2003? I tried the org chart wizard import but I keep ending up with either 300 pages with a single position or one page with one position; and, no other capability that I can see for doing any more than just dragging boxes around. During import I can see where one can cusomize a page but each time I try setting that up I end up with just one position on a single page too.

Your excel file has to include two columns, Unique_ID and Report_To. The Report_To column 'points back' to Unique_ID meaning that this column contains the ids from Unique_ID column. Those two column basically tells VISIO which box go under which box. Without the two columns, one box per page is what you get. I have been through that frustration.

smin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back