Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating new bootlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

bioboy

Vendor
Sep 24, 2003
GB
I have speeded up my boot time from 5 minutes to 2 mins by removing a load of spyware and unnecessary items from my start menu using misconfig. I also unchecked config.sys, autoexec.bat and winstart.bat as suggested on a website. I also changed to a fast boot and downloaded a bootlog analyser to see if there was anything else I could do.

However, the bootlog analyser says my bootlog is 2 years old
and I can create a new bootlog by pressing F8, then choosing option 2 on the start menu. When I press F8 nothing happens. The only thing I am asked to do is press Del if I want to enter setup, which is what i did to select fast boot. I can't see anywhere to create a bootlog.

Also, if I hit Run/CMD in Windows nothing is found, even when I switch config.sys, autoexec.bat and winstart.bat back on. Is CMD not available in Windows 98?

Try [shift]+[F8]. Or as an alternative you could modify the msdos.sys for a boot time menu.

at run try command.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Also when booting hold down the ctrl key to get the boot menu.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi,

CMD is the command prompt in NT4/2K/XP only. For 95/98 use COMMAND.

For F8 to load the boot menu, it should be when the "Starting Windows 98..." (or starting windows 95) message appears on screen in text before the operating system logo appears and the computer starts processing config.sys, so you have a couple of seconds.

John

Tried both of those but no joy. Any other ideas?

Sorry. Got it sorted guys. Had to change to normal start up. Cheers for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back