Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating menus in Excel Add-Ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

rguglielmon

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
I am trying to create an add-in with custom menus associated with macros I want to distribute. I tried to follow the instructions in the MS OFfice XP Developer's Guide.
I did the following:
- Created a new workbook
- Created macros in a module in the workbook
- Created a custom top level menu item on the main menu and some lower level items using the Customize option and associated the macros with them.
- In the VBA editor I compiled the project by clicking Compile Project on the Debug menu
- I saved the workbook as an Add-In and closed Excel.
- I reopened Excel, added the Add-In by clicking Add-Ins from the Tools menu and selecting the Add-In from the list.
- I tried to run the macro using the menu item but got an error message saying it couldn't find the macro. It was looking for it in "Book1", which was the default name of the workbook before I saved it as an Add-In.

What did I do wrong?

I had the same problem & fiddled with it for ages & I can't remember what I did to fix it, but I think when I assigned the macros, I edited the top bar so only the macro name showed with no other reference & also made sure the macros are in a module in the xla sheet itself, and programmed as functions, no subs.

Paul Beddows
Avaya Implementation
Telus
Vancouver, Canada
E-mail via

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back