Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Insert Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsam

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
CA
I am trying to write a script that will create insert statements that will look like:

INSERT INTO t_peep VALUES ('col1', 'col2', 'col3');

The problem that I am having with my select statement is being able to add the single quotes.
Select 'INSERT INTO t_peep VALUES ('<need single quote>col1<need single quote>, etc ||');'

Any hints?

Thanks in advance

To embed a quote in a string you must use 2 quotes, like:
Code:
Select 'Dan''s Cafe' from dual;
Hope this helps.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000

WSam,

There are several ways to resolve your need:

Option 1, Traditional, &quot;Two single quotes result in one single quote&quot; method:

Option 2, &quot;Concatenate CHR(39) [']&quot; method:

Select 'INSERT INTO t_peep VALUES ('||chr(39)||'col1-value'||chr(39)||','||chr(39)||'col2-value'||chr(39)||','||chr(39)||'col3-value'||chr(39)||');' from ...

Option 3, &quot;Translate 'back-quotes' into 'standard quotes'&quot; method:

Select translate('INSERT INTO t_peep VALUES (`col1-value`,`col2-value`,`col3-value`);',chr(96),chr(39)) from ...

I personally use Option 3 when Option 1 becomes/appears confusing.

Let me know if this resolves your problem.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 18:13 (10Jan04) GMT, 11:13 (10Jan04) Mountain Time)

WSam,

Option 1 looks pretty clever, huh? It should have read:

Option 1, Traditional, &quot;Two single quotes result in one single quote&quot; method:

Select 'INSERT INTO t_peep VALUES (''col1-value'',''col2-value'',''col3-value'');' from ...

(This is the method that BJCooperIT posted while I was composing my post. Good call, BJ [smile]).

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 18:17 (10Jan04) GMT, 11:17 (10Jan04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back