Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Hyperlinks in external swf movies within your site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q1475

Technical User
Mar 19, 2008
US
I am building a site for the company I work for and within the main flash CS3 document for the site I have a portfolio gallery with 8 sections. I created a flash file for each category and made a swf file where I loaded them in my main flash document. They each have their own layer and on their layer I placed a loader component for each movie so the gallery will show up when I click on that specific button.

My problem is that in some of the galleries I want to direct my viewers to another place within another swf file.
Example: If I have a picture displaying a piece of artwork and I have another piece of artwork that relates to it and I want to see that also.
How do I create that link to go to another place in another movie (swf file). Is this even possible? Help me please.
I am using actionscript 2.0 I have attached a temporary site address for a better idea of what I need help with. Go to the portfolio section.

Thank you for replying, but can you explain this a bit further?

Sorry, I hope you have some major patience with me...
I still don't think this will work.
I don't think I want the entire swf movie to go to my target frame. Within that swf movie I uploaded there is a whole gallery full of images and there is only one particular image that has another piece that relates to that same project under a different category. I don't want the whole gallery to go to that particular frame.
And that's another thing the other frame is in another swf file that was created and uploaded within my main website file. I wouldn't mind if I just went to the gallery the image can be found in though. So I suppose I could direct it to that frame where my movie unloads that gallery. But still I don't want the entire gallery (swf file) to gotoandPlay another gallery. I hope this makes sense.

Not sure if I follow you exactly, but what I do in Flash is make everything dynamic - I draw everything on Stage on the fly, in fact I never use things like gotoAndPlay myself.

It sounds like you could use this kind of approach, but you need to know your ActionScript fairly well to write scripts do this.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can do what you want with gotoAndPlay/Stop - just target a MovieClip, something like:
[tt]myGallery.myMovieClip.gotoAndPlay(targetFrame)[/tt] etc.

Kenneth Kawamoto

Thanks Kenneth for your time, I appreciate it. I will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back