Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating good quality PDF's via Quark

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjch

Technical User
May 26, 2006
GB
Hi all,

I have been assigned to show our various book covers 6 up on a quark A4 document so that they may then be PDF'd and downloadable from our website.

So my question is, Is there a definitive procedure which results in good quality images and small downloadable PDF files.

My current procedure is to import PDF covers in to a A4 Quark document (there can be up to 15 pages). Create a PS file using the standard setting. The result is not brilliant and I would appreciate any tips

I have been importing the PDF covers in to the Quark document but its now coming up with a security password problem and i'm having to convert the lot to EPS's (btw does anyone have a cure for that?) Sorry, I know I should create a new thread but hey.

At present I am running Quark 6.52 on a Mac G5 (OSX).

Thanks in advance
SJCH

Hi sjch
I think that the best way to save a PDF from Quark 6.52 on my Intel iMac is to just export to PDF rather than Print and Save AS PDF.
As far as file size, I don't know how to compress it with Quark, but you can zip it by going to the desktop, highlight the file and choose Create an Archive of the file, that will reduce the file size and may give you an automatic download from your website when someone clicks the link.

Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

...if you have acrobat pro, your better off compressing the pdf's in acrobat, convert to rgb too...

...this is all found in the advance menu of acrobat pro...

...unless you have reason to put them in quark that is...

...in quark you can either export direct to pdf, or export to ps to later distill to pdf...

...you really want to convert to RGB, but quark won't always do this when exporting, most often it will if the color is a native quark color, and not imported...

...your better off using distiller to convert the colors and compress or do it in acrobat pro...

Andrew

Use Quark's Export to PDF function. (I only use 6.5 so don't know if it's different in newer versions).

Click "options" and set the compression level for colour images to Medium High and the resolution to downsample to 72dpi for anything above 72dpi. Note this is the amount of compression being applied and NOT the quality of the image. So Medium High compression is actually one of the lower quality settings.

If your page has greyscale images do the same for the greyscale option.

Likewise the bitmap option - I normally go for 200-300dpi for these because they will be small anyway.

Make sure "compress text and lineart" is checked.

When you export the PDF, look at it in Acrobat and check the filesize. If the image quality is OK and the filesize is OK then you are good to go. Otherwise adjust the compression settings (leave the resolution alone) in Quark's export options and try again.

There will have to be some trade off between filesize and image quality since you are applying JPEG compression to the images. The more compression applied, the smaller the file but the lower the image quality.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back