Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating fixed length fields in Cognos

Status
Not open for further replies.

lymi6977

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2005
US
I am new at Cognos and working contract for a company using Cognos version 8.4.
I have used Crystal Reports since version 4, and I am seeing so many functional differences between the two.

I desperately need someone's expertise. I have searched on the Internet and cannot find a solution.

I need to create several fixed length fields.
The report will be exported for import into a legacy system.

Here are a few of the fields I need to convert to fixed lengths, as they appear in Crystal now (for those who know Crystal too) --- need to know if these functions are available in Cognos and if so, how to use them:
1st one --- {ARITEM.ARIACCTYP} & ToText({ARITEM.ARIACCOUNT},"0############") & "0PAID"
2nd one --- "CK" & ToText({ARITEM.ARISERIAL},"000000####") &
ToText(ToNumber(Replace(ToText({ARITEM.ARIPAIDAMT},2),".", "")),"0000000000") &
ToText({@Paid Date}, "MMddyy") & {ARITEM.ARIPAYEE}

Thanks so much!
Sheila Snyder
sheila.snyder@capitalbank-us.com

ToText and ToNumber functions should be the CAST function in Cognos. The & can be substituted with ||

I have no idea what you mean with "0##########" Is this some sort of formatting?

Ties Blom

I believe the Crystal formula with the "0##########" is adding a leading zero and the "#" represents the length of the field.

With the cast function, what is the syntax for Cognos 8.4 to dictate the fixed length?

If I have a numeric field that I am converting to varchar, I would normally do this:
cast_varchar([fieldname])

Do you know what I would add to force this to always be 10 characters with leading zeros as filler?

Thanks!

Within Report Studio you can acces all available Cognos (and Native ) functions. I do not think there is a Cognos function for either left or right padding, but you can work around this by using a case statement:

Code:
CASE 
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 1 THEN '000000000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 2 THEN '00000000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 3 THEN '0000000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 4 THEN '000000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 5 THEN '00000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 6 THEN '0000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 7 THEN '000'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 8 THEN '00'||[SOMEITEM]
WHEN CHARACTER_LENGTH([SOMEITEM]) = 9 THEN '0'||[SOMEITEM]
ELSE [SOMEITEM]
END

Obviously, you need to cast the the original item first to a string. If you want to keep things readable, you can also use 2 dataitems , first using a CAST and then using this one in the above CASE construct.

Ties Blom

Perfect!
Thanks so much for your help!

For padding, could one just use the RIGHT function, together with a lead string?
Code:
RIGHT('000000000'||[SOMEITEM],8)

(Need to be sure that [SOMEITEM] is neither NULL, nor exceeds the limit.)

soi là, soi carré

Yes, if you decide to use native functions (and make sure to publish the db function set) . We stick to using Cognos functions as much as possible to ensure database independency..

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back