Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Dynamic Table of Contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash4ever

Programmer
Aug 6, 2001
US
I'm trying to print out a collection of reports into a binded reports with table of contents. Since we're trying to print the same report collections for hundred of clients, I'm trying to build a dynamic table of contents page.

How can I pass the page number dynamically from the subreports to the main reports so the table of contents will display the correct page number for each pages?

The subreports could be grown depend on the number of data (so it could be 4 pages or 2 pages for a subreport, for example)

Thanks,
Vicky

I have this problem, also.

I've been able to create a dynamic Report Index (at the end of the report) via shared variables, but am not able to create a dynamic Table of Contents at the beginning of the report as the ToC values won't be evaluated prior to their respective sub report sections (Group Header 1, 2, etc...). I suspect there is a way to do this with ADO, but I haven't had time to research the issue.

One way to get around this is to use a Report Package. Each subreport would be treated as its own individual report (parameters could still be shared between the reports). You would then create a separate Table of Contents report with a .TTX field. The table of contents would be evaluated after the other reports are generated, but would appear in the report package first. Unfortunately, this isn't an option at my office since Report Packages can't be viewed in Info Analyzer which is the prescibed viewer for a number of reasons. Additionally, there have been many bugs associated to Report Packages.

I'm very interested to hear if anybody knows of a way to create a dynamic Table of Contents within Crystal Reports (without third-party development tools such as VB).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back