Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Directories on the fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkn

Programmer
Oct 11, 2000
US
Hi

I have a document management system that uses the ASPSimpleUpload component to upload the files to the server. We have recently moved servers and the way the upload performs has changed.

When I was previously uploading a document, if the directory structure it was required to be uploaded didn't exist, the upload would automatically create it. Now I get an error message saying I dont have the necessary permission to do this. I've tried giving Everyone Full Control of the folder, but it doesn't resolve the problem.

Anyone any ideas why I may not be able to create directories on the fly?

Both the old server and new server are running IIS 4

David

Okay, more info for anyone who may be able to help.

I can create a single sub directory on the fly, but when I want to create multple level subdirs on the fly I get the error telling me to check the permissions.

####################
example

if I upload a file with say the following path

/test_folder/new_folder/testfile.asp

where only the folder test_folder exists it will create new_folder and save testfile.asp in there.

if I upload a file with the following path

/test_folder/new_folder/new_sub_folder/testfile.asp

I get an error saying I dont have permissions

#########################

I've checked the permissions on the 'new_folder' directory after its created, and they are Full Control All/All, so I don't see why it won't let me create the 'new_sub_folder'.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

(Again, just to stress this was working on the previous web server unaltered so I don't think its the code)

Thanks David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back