Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating database

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenica

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
BA
I've just installed oracle 8i on my computer (win 2000) and I don't know how to start. I want to create a database but I don't know which application to use and which way. I know how to do that in sql and in scema manager too, but each time I try to open those applications, username, password and service are asked from me. I've tried with system-manager but without result. I've even created some service name local for my host and listener for him but only appeared message that's not possible connection to that service. What I need to do to start work with oracle from my computer ?

Hi
If u just wanna start working in Oracle. Just create a database using the Oracle Enterprise Manager.
The steps are really easy.
I think in Oracle 8i, there is a Oracle Data Configuration Assistant or some name like that.
Just go to start->program->Oracle->data configuration Assistant.
There u'll find the options like create new database,delete database etc.
Just click on create new database.
Just use the default option.
It'll do all the work for u.
It'll create the service and all the neccessary datafiles and redolog files.
Then u can use the system,sys or internal account to create a user and start using oracle.

By the way if u installed the oracle using the typical installation and used all the default features.
It should have made the default database name ORCL.
The password for the internal is oracle (I think).

If u wanna know a little more just ask.
I'll be glad to help U.

Regards Zeeshan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back