Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Custom Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngob

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US
If anyone is familiar with Crystal Reports or Brio could you tell me how Access makes Custom Groups.

I am using Access 2000,

Lets say I wrote a simple select statement and the data looks like this.

Medium Type
Book Romance
Book Gothic
Magazine Tennis
Magazine Golf
Book Mystery
Booklet Poetry
Book Comic
Leaflet Fitness

Now I call the next thing a roll up or create a column that does not exist in the db, but I want to roll up the "Type" into a custom group. Each of the types would either be a Hardcover or Softcover, when I was finished I would have a third column that just has the words hardcover or softcover in it.

Medium Type Cover
Book Romance Softcover
Book Gothic Hardcover
Magazine Tennis Softcover
Magazine Golf Softcover
Book Mystery Hardcover
Booklet Poetry Softcover
Book Comic Hardcover
Leaflet Fitness Softcover

When this is all finished, I could make a crosstab report with the Cover being my Column Heading if I wanted to.

Custom grouping allows you to name a group and choose what you want in the group, so how can you do this in Access.

I do not know VBA and if some one knows how to do this without using VBA, please have patience when explaining it.

Novice Access User.
Thanks

Assuming each type can be either Hardcover of Softcover, both not both:

You would create another table, call it tblCover. You would have 2 fields in the table, one for the Type and the other for your CoverType. The entries might look like this:

Romance Softcover
Golf Softcover
Comic Hardcover
etc...

Then you would join the 2 tables so that the resulting dataset will look just like the one you have above. Base the report on that data set.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back