Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Contexts within the same sql path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfsista

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2001
US
Is it possible to have 2 contexts within the same sql path? I have a fact table with 2 keys (one identifying historical and the other current) widgets. Both keys can be used along with the time key to determine either the historical widget name or the current widget name (current is duplicated across time periods).

I was hoping I could create a context to switch between the joins to the widget table depending upon whether the users want to see the historical names or the just the current names for all time periods. I haven't tried this yet, but wondering if a context can do this? Everywhere I have seen contexts they have been used to break a loop or define a different path, but not within the same path. I need to basically switch between the 2 keys depending upon what the users want to see. I don't want to have to use separate objects or universes to do this....

Any suggestions out there????

Why make this so complicated? Let them fatch both keys and have 'm decide around which dimension they want to build there data. Naming the dimensions correctly (with perhaps some explaining on the object) should give enough insight in which to use........... (Retrieving a dimension does not force you to use it in a report, but you swap between them) T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Thanks,

Actually, the business requirement is the business requirement. I can't force the users to select from different dimensions.

I did find a way to do this and meet the requirement...it was easy. Just needed a complex join with a prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back