Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating/Connecting to a New Instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SendSpam

Programmer
Oct 29, 2002
US
Hi,

How do I get a server setup (i.e. create the instance of a server and connect to it?) The Enterprise Mgr asks me for login information that I was never asked to provide, so what am I missing? I think I installed an instance, but it won't connect? Everything is on one computer. Thank you.

Just to clarify what I think you are doing...

You are selecting a server group and then either right-clicking and selecting "New SQL Server Registration" or selecting "New SQL Server Registration" from the Action menu.
You are then selecting the server you want to register and either connecting using integrated security or selecting the option that prompts you for login information.

That being the case, if you are using integrated security, and the connection is failing, it probably means that you are not registered as a user on that server.

Is your SQL Server installation on a network at your place of employment? If so, try to get hold of valid login detains from your System Administrator. If it is your personal home copy, try entering sa in the username field with no password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back