Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Chart with formula of running total of group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1tufgt

Programmer
Apr 11, 2020
US
I was wondering if there is a good work around for creating a chart that is from a formula (%) from 2 running totals. I know the issue is that with charts you can't create graphs from the formulas of running totals since charts are rendered beforehand.

I currently have couple of groups already setup in which I'm counting the running total for. Then using the running totals to get a percentage that I want to graph by month.

Group 1 - Name
Group 2 - Mo/Yr​
Running total x & y​
x / y * 100 = percent​

I can chart the running totals but not able to chart the percentage in a graph and get the value is a variable error.

What is the purpose of the running totals? How are they set up? There may be a way to use a traditional inserted summary so that you don't have this problem.

-LB

Reason is the summary isn't calculating to the correct numbers since I need to place conditions on if a row should equal 1 or not.

Example.

My grouping in the initial post was incorrect.

Group 1: mo/yr
Group 2: Name​
Value 1​
Formula 1 if Value 1 > 0 then 1 else 0​
Sum of Formula 1​
Formula 2 if Value 1 > 0 then 1 else 0​
Sum of Formula 2​

Footer 1: Formula 1 / Formula 2 = Percent.

The other option I tried is just with a standard formula where I determine if the previous is a duplicate or not. So within that formula I check if {@Name} = Previous {@Name} Then 0 else 1. But using that formula I don't have the ability to insert a summary either.

This isn't clear to me. I don't know what you mean by Formula 1 and Formula 2--how do they relate to running totals? Are you trying to sum an amount but only if it isn't a negative number? Or is this simply a check for zero values that would cause a division by 0 error? Or is is that you have duplicate values that you are trying to eliminate from the sum?

Please answer these questions and then show some sample data with column labels at the detail section.

If you are using formulas, show the actual contents of the formulas. If you are using running totals, show how they are set up--summary field, type of summary, evaluation section, reset section.

-LB

Hopefully this helps. Initially I was thinking running totals but your comment about traditional summary I was tried to insert a formula into my report but it doesn't allow me to "insert" summary on formula's.

Name Month IsValid Name Count (formula)
Joe Jan 1 1
Joe Jan 1 0
Bill Jan 0 1
Jeff Jan 1 1
Jeff Jan 1 0
Jeff Jan 1 0
Mary Jan 0 1
Mary Jan 0 1
Leon Jan 1 1

Need sum of IsValid and Name Count to create a percentage. IsValid / Name Count = percent. I would only count the IsValid where Name Count = 1.

You should be able to insert summaries on your formulas, so please copy the contents of your formulas into this thread so I can troubleshoot this.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back