Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Boot Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardape13

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
I was wondering how I go about creating a boot disk from the i386pro directory. Also, what's the difference between that and the ERD? On an unrelated note, does anyone know that microsoft email loopback address? Thanks for any help!

Here's a tip I received a while back - cant even remember where it came from - but it does work. Saved me from having to image floppies in a pinch - though using a floppy image is probably faster. ;)

Insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD. Open a command prompt and
switch to the CD by typing in the drive letter and pressing Enter. Type:

\Valueadd\3rdparty\Ca_Antiv

Press Enter. Now insert a disk into Drive A and then type:

makedisk

Press Enter. After the disk is created, you can delete the unnecessary
files from the floppy.

We decided to use Windows Explorer to copy the files in
\Valueadd\3rdparty\Ca_Antiv to a new folder on Drive C (Boot_disk).
Then we created a new batch file to generate the boot disk and
automatically delete the unnecessary non-system files.

To create the batch file, run Notepad and enter the following:

@echo off
fd144 a: avboot
cls
attrib a:*.* -r >null
del a:autoexec.bat
del a:avboot.exe
del a:choice.com
del a:more.com
del a:virboot.dat
del a:*.txt
exit

Choose File, Save As, and name the file bootdisk.cmd. Save bootdisk.cmd
in the Drive C folder that contains the contents of
\Valueadd\3rdparty\Ca_Antiv.

To create a boot floppy, insert a disk into Drive A and double-click
bootdisk.cmd. If you need to create a boot disk very often, then you
can place a bootdisk.cmd shortcut on your desktop or in the Quick
Launch toolbar.

Pretty neat stuff..

The difference between a boot disk and an ERD is that the Boot disk just allows you to boot from a floppy, and access DOS. An ERD is what it stands for : "Emergency Repair Disk". An ERD contains your security settings, and can also restore your registry settings. ERD's must be created AFTER your computer is configured. A Boot disk will not allow you to restore windows without damaging account information - whereas an ERD may keep things further in-tact if your system crashes, and you need to do a restore from the console.

Im not sure what you mean about the E-Mail loopback address, but the MS TCP loopback address is 127.0.0.1 for a NIC adapter.

Hope this helps..

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Thanks for the help. The problem though is that I didn't install from the CD-ROM and don't have one. I copied the source files over the network, and they all reside on my C: drive. The rest is very insightful though. Also, there is some email address that you send to the MS seattle office that can be used as a diagnostic to make sure you can receive emails from outside your computer rather than just sending them to yourself. I can't think of it for the life of me though, other than the word Seattle is in the address. Anyway, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back