Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating batch file triggered generic events

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehowes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
NZ
I am trying to set a series or reports to run in sequence on demand to a printer. We will have to use Crystal Info coz we dont have enterprise.

I know I can set up events and have each report set a new event to trigger the next file, but a batch file sounds more elegant for this purpose. The trouble is I can find virtually no info on how to do this. page 21 of the administrators guide version 6 has a brief section on CINFORC.EXE plus a small sample but I need more to be able to do this PLEASE.

Does anyone out there have any ideas or sample of knowledge of any kind about batch files that will get me started.

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

Can you not create a report package to force the reports to run in order ?

JonRob

Hi JonRob

Sounds good.... but what is a report package (he asked naievely).

Is there any documentation online anywhere??

Hi,

A Package is easy to create. Go to the Info Desktop and do File - New - Report Package Object. You just add your reports to it in order on one of the Tabs. Once created this can be scheduled in the same way as a report object.

I don't know about any documentation but have worked out that when the package runs it grabs the first avaliable Info Server and runs all the reports in the package on that server one after another.

Best of Luck

Hello.

While Report Packages are indeed a great thing, I remember there being limits to them. So I did a quick test.

I checked two different INFO 7.5 installs, and the ability to send the reports to a printer appear to be lacking. The only options under TO DESTINATION are CHANNEL and DISK. PRINTER is missing.

So for your specific need, this may not be a good approach.

BTW, the limitation that prompted me to look is this... it is a different limitation.

In PUBLISH IN FORMAT, only RPT and POSTSCRIPT are available (not exporting to Excel, etc).

Regards,

Mark H. Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back