Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an Outlook-like GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSandman666

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
DE
Hello Everybody!

I just had this idea of this aaplication. It's supposed to handle quite a bit of data and perform several sorts of operations on each of them, the operations varying on the type of data. The key is, that all sorts of data needs to be accessed very quickly and in a simple way.
I find Outlook to be a great example of this kind of application. I can have a treeview control as the center of the application and use it to switch between data of different types. The rest of the application (toolbar, forms, maybe menu bar) will change depending on the type of data selected.
How could I create an application like this in MFC? I need to say I'm pretty new to MFC and therefore any explanations, hints, tutorials, etc would need to be on a rather basic level.
Of course, I don't ask you to walk me through the whole process. I'm already happy if you can give me hints of the general structure and point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much!

in wizard, in Application Type, look at Project style, choose "Windows Explorer"

Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

AIM: IonFilipski
filipski@excite.com

Using the MFC framework you can pass messages across views (Document View Architecture) using the CDocument::UpdateAllViews and each view overrides OnUpdate(). To learn how that mechanism works you might look at the MFC sample application and tutorial on MSDN called Scribble and I believe there are others like Multipad or Superpad or something like that

In an Explorer style project with different data views you can switch the views in the right pane dynamically. Here is a thread that previously discussed that aspect of behavior thread116-513254

-pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back