Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an MS Access 2013 project with multiple forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

InspectorHound

Programmer
Nov 21, 2014
US
Hello,

I am creating an MS Access 2013 desktop application and need some help. I have created a continuous form that is based on a query that has five fields. The five fields are displayed in the detail section in tabular style. The header of the form has three unbound textboxes, related to three of the five query fields where users can search the query. When the user types in a name or SSN and hits search, the records related to that person are displayed in the detail section.

I now need to select one of those records in the detail section and have information from another table displayed. What is the best way of doing this. Should I open a new form?

Either open a new form showing the appropriate records (the command button wizard will do this for you by passing a criteria condition but I usually use a query with a parameter pointing to a form control) like you suggested or you could use a sub report. For a continuous form, I would say the first option is the better presentation 90% or more of the time.

Also there are multiple Access forums here. I probably would have posted your question in the one for forms... forum702

This one is for using a special file format, an Access Project with SQL server. I think support was taken out in 2013. Everyone including Microsoft says to stay away from them. You can do everything with a regular front end and still use SQL server except natively edit your SQL statments with a QBE within Access. Not worth it, you lose too much functionality otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back