Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an EXE (VC++ 2008 SP1 EE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmcbell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
GB
I'm pretty new to Visual C++ and I'm looking into how to create an EXE for the following situation.

Basically, I'm using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (with SP1). I've created a Windows Forms application which is all fine and dandy, and am now looking at deploying it.

What I want is for this application to go on a CD. The user puts the CD in and the application starts (I know how to use autoruns). The part that I can't manage is how to get an EXE that simply runs. I don't want to have to create an installer as the people this is for may not be tech-savvy and it may, quite frankly, scare them (I can tell you some stories of the people I've dealt with, as you can all probably tell me). I just want an EXE that runs from the CD.

I know that I'll have to supply DLL files on the CD, but I've heard of something called "app-local" deployment, or "private assemblies". These apparently involve having the DLL files alongside the EXE and the EXE simply uses them - no installation necessary. It was described on a Microsoft blog - however, I'm using my PC at work and our IT dept have seen it fit to block all Microsoft sites to stop people trying to solve their own problems.

Various sites (not that I've found many) say I need to make adjustments to my manifest - all I've managed to find is an intermediate.manifest embedded. Also, apparently I'm supposed to have a (myprojectname).DLL but I can't find this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to get this sorted for most of the week but to no avail.

This site should explain what you want (it sounds similar if not do right exactly what ur looking for):
I hope ur work doesn't block this site. If I'm wrong let me know because I think I found the MSN blog u were talking about.

Also not to be a jerk or anything, if ur work blocks sites like that then why not research at home and either print them out or save the .htm files and bring them to work (I don't know if this is an option you have).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back