Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an EXE that can run without an installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDrParker

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
US
I have a project with only 1 component added. Is there anyway to create an EXE that will not need an installer using VB6, but can run on any machine that can run a basic VB App?

It depends on the component.

If it is one you can re-implement in VB or if written in VB and you can make it internal then yes - otherwise I'd say no.

This may be a foolish idea, but I have wanted to know. Is it possible to take a component such as an OCX and recreate it at the first execution with alternate data streams?

How did you get this file with alternate data streams installed on the machine though? I'd think you'd need an NTFS to NTFS copy operation with a streams-aware utility. They aren't likely to be picked up in a zip file or via a web download, etc.

And even then you'd still need to register the OCX.

I am thinking along the lines of keeping the binary for the OCX within the executable. Then at the first execution of the file, write the OCX and register it. Then each subsequent execution it will check to see if the file is there. If the file is there it will skip the recreation of the OCX.

Possibly ADS is not needed...

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back